Monday, May 24, 2010

Wipe Out

Since I started riding again last year, I’ve put about 1,800 km on my bike. I think I’m a pretty careful rider - I ride with the traffic, I don’t blow through stop signs, I don’t take (too many) stupid chances. It seems like the smart thing to do, especially at my, ahem, age. I just don’t bounce back the way I used to.

But I did something stupid yesterday, and I’m paying for it today (and probably tomorrow as well). I was invited by a friend through work (thanks, Colin) to go with a group of experienced riders on a long loop around Pitt Meadows and Fort Langley. It was a long hard ride - these guys were fast - and as we came up to the South end of the Golden Ears Bridge, my attention wandered and my front wheel crossed the rear wheel of the rider in front just as he was turning right with the rest of the pack.

Down I went.

I landed on my left side, from hip to shoulder, with a little thunk of my helmet on the pavement as punctuation. We weren’t going all that fast at that point, so there was no serious damage (except, of course, to my self-esteem), and everybody was very impressed with how well I rolled. Apparently I rolled really well. I guess that’s a good thing.

Anyway, once we figured out that nothing on me or my bike was broken, we headed off over the bridge and back to where we started. A hell of a workout, and a lesson learned - pay attention! All the time!

I'm a little stiff and sore today, but I went for a ride this morning and everything seems to be working properly, so I think I'm a pretty lucky guy.

Many thanks to Jim, Stephen, Hugh, Peter and Colin for letting this novice in on your ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment